So, Jason's birthday was on May 16th and I made him a cake from scratch (not a box). It was the first cake I'd ever made from scratch and I was quite excited about him trying it. I won't tell you all the great details about how I tore it into 3 parts trying to get it out of the pan, back into the pan, frosted, etc. I was even going to make some homemade frosting to go with it, but it ended up being a busy day so I settled for stuff from the plastic jar. We finally found time to sit down and enjoy it, and I was waiting to be able to see his face when he realized how tasty it was (I was guessing at this point - no one had tried it yet). Much to my disappointment he decided he wanted nothing to do with the cake. Wouldn't even look at it. Since it was his birthday and not mine, I decided to let him have what he wanted. He ended up with pickles. Sliced dill pickles. Yup, icky, not-desserty-at-all, store bought, dill pickles. I've heard that kids humble you, but I confess I was not expecting that. After he'd had his fill of pickles he decided the ice cream everyone else was eating sounded good (notice he wasn't interested in the cake that I slaved over, but the store bought ice cream). He still had a pickle or two on his plate with his ice cream, and we couldn't help but take a picture of one of the infamous sayings we grew up with!
Monday, June 1, 2009
Pickles and Ice Cream
One of my mother's favorite sayings while we were growing up was 'pickles and ice cream.' I'm not quite sure where it came from, nor can I narrow down what she uses it for. Sometimes it's when she's frustrated, others when she's telling us what's for dinner (maybe that's frustration too...), and often times it just for fun. She still pulls it out and dusts if off from time to time, but not as often as when we were younger.
So, Jason's birthday was on May 16th and I made him a cake from scratch (not a box). It was the first cake I'd ever made from scratch and I was quite excited about him trying it. I won't tell you all the great details about how I tore it into 3 parts trying to get it out of the pan, back into the pan, frosted, etc. I was even going to make some homemade frosting to go with it, but it ended up being a busy day so I settled for stuff from the plastic jar. We finally found time to sit down and enjoy it, and I was waiting to be able to see his face when he realized how tasty it was (I was guessing at this point - no one had tried it yet). Much to my disappointment he decided he wanted nothing to do with the cake. Wouldn't even look at it. Since it was his birthday and not mine, I decided to let him have what he wanted. He ended up with pickles. Sliced dill pickles. Yup, icky, not-desserty-at-all, store bought, dill pickles. I've heard that kids humble you, but I confess I was not expecting that. After he'd had his fill of pickles he decided the ice cream everyone else was eating sounded good (notice he wasn't interested in the cake that I slaved over, but the store bought ice cream). He still had a pickle or two on his plate with his ice cream, and we couldn't help but take a picture of one of the infamous sayings we grew up with!
So, Jason's birthday was on May 16th and I made him a cake from scratch (not a box). It was the first cake I'd ever made from scratch and I was quite excited about him trying it. I won't tell you all the great details about how I tore it into 3 parts trying to get it out of the pan, back into the pan, frosted, etc. I was even going to make some homemade frosting to go with it, but it ended up being a busy day so I settled for stuff from the plastic jar. We finally found time to sit down and enjoy it, and I was waiting to be able to see his face when he realized how tasty it was (I was guessing at this point - no one had tried it yet). Much to my disappointment he decided he wanted nothing to do with the cake. Wouldn't even look at it. Since it was his birthday and not mine, I decided to let him have what he wanted. He ended up with pickles. Sliced dill pickles. Yup, icky, not-desserty-at-all, store bought, dill pickles. I've heard that kids humble you, but I confess I was not expecting that. After he'd had his fill of pickles he decided the ice cream everyone else was eating sounded good (notice he wasn't interested in the cake that I slaved over, but the store bought ice cream). He still had a pickle or two on his plate with his ice cream, and we couldn't help but take a picture of one of the infamous sayings we grew up with!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
That is hilarious! Pickles and ice cream has a whole new meaning now! I want to see a picture of your cake!
Post a Comment