Our ward has had a yearly Corn Roast for as long as I can remember. They buy a ton of fresh grown sweet corn from a near-by farm, head to the beach and cook the corn in ocean water. I used to think it was the best corn ever!! Then I married into a farming family who grows their own corn and freezes enough to last the rest of the year. I have now become a corn snob. Who knew? I've since decided that the real reason I thought it was so good wasn't because it was cooked in salt water, but because it was fresh farm corn.
The ward corn roast this year will be while we're planning on being out of town, and I was quite disappointed to miss it! Doug had been planning on going to the beach with some friends to burn some of their old school papers. I'm not quite sure how it happened, but it got decided that we could do our own mini corn roast! Mom went out and bought corn Saturday morning, got everything all ready to head down to the beach to save a fire pit, got there and all the pits were taken. After some searching around for another place to do it, she and Doug decided to put off the adventure until the next weekend. We had fun eating some pretty nummy corn over the next day or two! Fresh corn from the farm is much better than the stuff you buy in the grocery store!! Of course, Mom had bought a case of corn (48 ears) and Mark and I were pretty much the only ones to eat more than one ear, so by the next weekend we still had 35 ears or so sitting in the fridge. This time they were better prepared to save a fire pit and we all ended up going to the beach last night to play in the sand and eat ocean-water-cooked-corn. There was some confusion as to how long we should cook the corn, since they still had the husks on, and how long we should boil the water before we dared consider it sanitary enough to cook in - but it turned out fairly well. Mark and I (self proclaimed 'corn snobs') thought the corn wasn't legendary but it was fine (it had been in our fridge for a week, and parts of mine were over-cooked for me), but everyone else seemed to love it! The kids had a blast paying in the sand and in a huge hole that one of Doug's friends dug. Shelly did a fairly good job cooking marshmallows for smores, and Jason did a pretty good job imitating! He needed to be about 10 feet closer to the heat to be able to actually cook the marshmallow, but he had fun anyways! He kept yelling at anyone who got close to the fire saying 'NO! HA!' (which means 'don't touch that it's hot!') Shelly kept giving everyone 'newspapers' which was really just some wet sand that she had in her bucket.
The hole that Shelly and Jason had fun playing in was quite large. Much of the time while I was sitting in my chair I couldn't see her over the piled up sand on the edges. People would walk by and see Shelly playing in the hole and get this weird look on their face (akin to 'how long has she been digging??') Mom and Dad got pictures of Shelly and Jason being cute, but the pictures are on their phones, and it's a busy day today. I'll have to wait to get them off...
Ok, so I type too much!! I'm sorry!!
1 comment:
Gosh I should've been there when you were eating the corn the first time. I could have eaten all 35 for you guys in one sitting. I love them that much. Glad things worked out and you guys went to the beach to cook them.
Post a Comment