Friday, June 21, 2013

Two Weeks Down - Four to go!

Wow, time flies when life is busy.  It hasn't been as crazy and unpredictable as it was before, but it's been rather non-stop.

Mark is finishing up his second week of radiation and chemo.  So far he hasn't really noticed any side effects.  The chemo doesn't make him nauseous - which we hear is either does or doesn't, so he should be fine with that for the next few weeks.  Radiation is supposed to make him tired, but that hasn't kicked in yet.  So far, we are considering ourselves lucky that he's been doing so well.

He got tapered down on the steroids.  He's still taking them, but a slightly lower dose, so we're hoping that helps him feel a little bit better.  He's put on enough belly fat that our bellies are growing at about the same rate - which means that he bends about as well as a pregnant woman heading into in their third trimester...  He has a slight disadvantage as well, since he's still in the process of re-learning how to use his body - specifically his left side.  Largely, he's fine and totally functional, just a bit slower and slightly lopsided at times.  He walks with a bit of a limp and a tiny bit slower than most would consider a normal speed - but he gets around, and gets around well.  He uses his left hand for a great many things, but every now and then I catch him getting things out of the fridge or cupboards with only one hand (right hand opens the door, gets the item out, puts it on the counter and closes the door, all while his left arm just hangs out at his side - he's getting better at noticing, and fixing, that though).

Overall, Mark is doing well.  The doctors are impressed with his recovery and other than a few lab results being a tiny bit high (which they think is from the steroids), medically he's handing all the treatment well too.


Mark went to class again for the first time this week!  He did well.  His class is about 30 minutes north of us.  For the first trip (and maybe more, depending on how tired the radiation makes him) I went with him just to make sure driving wasn't an issue.  He's been driving himself around town on occasion and has been doing well.  He's even mastered the stick shift again! (to be fair, all it took was one test drive just to make sure his left leg was strong enough to consistently press the clutch - it was)

On his way to class we started out with him driving the stick shift (his small car that has pretty much no temperature control for the air).  A grand total of 4 blocks away he could tell that his foot was going to cramp (he's been having cramping issues with his good foot and hand for a week or two now - random...) so we switched drivers - and cars!  So I drove him up to class in our van (with A/C!) and he went to class...

From his account all went well!  He's feeling sharp enough and ready for school again, which is awesome!

There are several small things about Mark that aren't the same as they were before (and one or two big things - like his belly :) ), but largely he's super functional, a good conversationalist (sometimes a bit slow on getting the words out - and sometimes a bit fast getting words out...), has a great memory, and brings me breakfast in bed most mornings!  I'll take it! :)

5 comments:

Becca said...

He went to class?! Incredible!! I bet that it feels good to get to do some of the before-surgery-normal things again. Yahoo!!!

Laurie said...

Hoooooray for being able to go back to school! I second Becca, it has to feel SO great to something pre-surgery-normal!

I will admit that I'm more than a little jealous of Mark's ability to drive a stick. My gearshift keeps getting stuck and I don't have the arm/abdominal strength to pull it down into reverse. Sad - and mostly funny - but true.

I'm so so SO happy to hear that the treatments haven't had any noticeable side effects, and even MORE happy (you can tell, because I capped a four letter word v. the previous two letter word) that the steroid dosage has gone down. I'm hoping that'll help you get some normalcy back, physically. Having your body changing shapes/sizes while you're working on re-learning how to use it can't be easy.

Man alive, I love you guys! As always, thanks for the report!

Jenny Gardner said...

Could not stop smiling while reading this--so many good things!! Minus feeling like a 3rd-trimester pregnant woman =).

Love to you guys.

Mark said...

I am thinking that after two weeks of chemo and radiation that since the extreme fatigue has not yet seemed to have had an effect as I was told to expect, I am beginning to question a number of things I was told about what to expect with treatment and I wonder if it will really be a limitation, or if I can plan on getting on with life and recovery will continue its current course, which is slow, but steady, and for the most part I am pleased with how it’s going. Last night Rachel and I went out for a brief evening walk that turned into a forty minute long walk that tired me out pretty well, but was tolerable. To be fair, I was only moving a little more than half of that time, the rest was standing around as a couple of girls we ran into by the temple borrowed my phone and called their boss to get a ride, so I’m not really doing forty minutes of straight walking yet, but I am getting a little closer. I’ll be very excited when the prospect of a half-hour walk sounds like an easy/fun thing to do instead of a difficult workout.

Cherish said...

Been thinking about you guys and wondering how things are going. :) Thank you for the update!
So happy to hear Mark isn't feeling the bad effects of the treatments! I admire you both and am here if you need anything! I really mean that!