Saturday, June 29, 2013

milestones

I am realizing I forgot to mention that yesterday was my half-way through radiation point. I am finished with three of the six weeks that I will be getting radiation. So, hurray, half-way done!! Now the rest should be easy, unless that fatigue decides to sneak into the picture somewhere along the way. Until then I'm counting down the days until July 22 when I get to have my very last radiation treatment and then start the countdown until my next MRI to see if treatment worked or if I need to start all over from the very beginning. That is what we are most hoping to avoid. Well that and death, if you know what I mean. Unfortunately, the tumor growing back could easily lead to death in a short period of time, so I'm  going out on a limb and betting that the tumor doesn't even come back, but all this chemo and radiation have wiped out the last remnants of that misguided mass of rapidly replicating cells. I seriously hope to soon, in a few months or more, be able to say, like Rachel's awesome cousin Laurie, "I am cancer free!" I even got to talk to Laurie this morning, it was as much of a treat as the biscuits and gravy we had for breakfast. Those of you on the Gardner/Ball side of the family may know Laurie, but for everyone else let me just sum up that she is an inspiring survivor of cancer and has shared much of her experience with us and the world through her blog, which was a major inspiration for the documentation of our journey through cancer-land on this blog. So someday I want to be just like Laurie, or more specifically, just like Laurie is right now, without cancer. I would also like to be as good of a writer as she is and as talented at finding delicious recipes and foods. That woman seriously has good taste. But enough about my ambitions, Let the half-way celebration continue. I think I'm going to take Rachel out to dinner to celebrate. She is very tired from chasing children all day, but I think I might be able to rouse her with a promise of delicious Indian Food... We'll have to see! I'll let you know tomorrow how our celebration works out.

-Mark

3 comments:

Laurie said...

Mark,

I love you! ... Almost as much as I love butter, which is saying something! (Don't feel bad. I don't even love Nathan and/or H like I love butter.) Talking to you this morning was awesome. I can't wait to do it again!

Congrats on hitting halfway with radiation! I'm super impressed that you've been able to avoid radiation fatigue. I'm telling you, your pain tolerance and energy levels never cease to amaze me. You are rocking this!

Enjoy the Indian food, and the quality time with your wife!

Becca said...

Yahoo for the halfway point!! You have the last radiation date but when is the MRI?? I'm with you on avoiding starting all over and death. Both are bad options. The only option is to follow in Laurie's footsteps (although not exactly because her stubborn body kept creating tumors). I hope you were able to talk Rachel into dinner. You guys need to celebrate the milestones!

Mark said...

Well, the good news is that we were able to get out and enjoy not only dinner, which was delicious, but also a dollar movie, and I'm here to tell you that Epic is really only slightly epic, but a fun movie anyway, and yes it made me cry. I don't think there is a movie out there that wouldn't make me cry in my current state...and a new milestone has been reached in my culinary development, I tried and enjoyed a couple of new Indian dishes and decided that one of these days I'm going to work myself up to curry; which is a total policy reversal, I have spent most of my trips to the Indian restaurant avoiding such dishes as much as possible, choosing to focus instead on the dishes without any sauce to speak of while enjoying the Naan and rice and plainer meats.