Monday, June 10, 2013

Finally!


Finally, we got news today, some of it was even good news. First, I’m not a match for the clinical trial we were hoping to get into. But, now that we know that, I was able to start treatment today, that’s right, started treatment today! I am now irradiated.  And chemoed(can you even use chemo as a verb, and if so, what is the past/preterite tense, or I guess  the past participle would also do? (I’m clueless in either case.) Anyway, I’m very excited to actually be in treatment, doing something about this tumor that is surely trying to reconstitute itself in my brain. Take that! Let’s see how you like that one-two punch of chemo and radiation. research suggests this treatment is pretty effective, enough that I am hopeful that I will soon be a former cancer patient. Partly because of the treatment and partly because I know how many of you are out there praying for me to get better, I figure between those two things I’ve got a good chance. I’m counting on it. Literally, I’m up to a month and ten days since surgery. Every day has been a gift.

5 comments:

Laurie said...

I'm sorry that you didn't get into the trial you wanted (aka: I'm sorry you didn't test positive for having a mutation), but I'm SO happy that you were able to start treatments!!!

Way to double-kick cancer! *Fingers crossed, head bowed, etc., that all those chemicals they're shooting into/at you will scare the tumor sspit less and it will disappear, never to be heard from again!

Matt said...

Because you asked a linguistics question, I feel compelled to jump in and answer it =). Verbs that are derived from nouns (like "chemo") are called "denominal verbs". This is a very productive process in English, meaning that you can take just about any noun you want to and verb it. Verbed nouns formed in this way have regular morphology, so you just take the regular endings that you would expect on regular verbs and add them to the denominal verb. So, "I was chemoed yesterday," "I have been chemoed,", "He chemo(e)s the patients once a week", and so on. Because of the trade off between storing rules and storing irregular items in your head, the more rare a word is the more it follows regular morphology. Words that come from productive processes pretty much always have regular morphology.

There you go, there's your linguistics lesson for the week. I hope you enjoyed it as much as your chemo =). Hopefully the chemo helps more than the linguistics lesson, though =).

Jenny Gardner said...

Glad to hear that the battle to eradicate the rest of that tumor has finally begun!!

xoxoxo

Jenny Gardner said...

Matt, you do realize of course that you just verbed the word "verb". My mind is blown. - Rob pretending to be Jenny.

Brea said...

Mark, you are in our thoughts and prayers!