Sunday, June 2, 2013

Mark's Thoughts

So when Rachel and I decided that updates on the blog would be a good way to share this experience with other people, I had looked forward to being able to share good news with people this way. Unfortunately, there is very little good news to share with a diagnosis of brain cancer, even though things are going as well as they could be for now with my recovery from surgery, we don’t start chemo and radiation for a couple of days and then I will really know what it’s like to be a cancer patient. Maybe then I’ll get a chance to suffer patiently through something awful and feel like I’m earning some of the compliments I keep getting about handling the situation well. In truth, I don’t think I’m doing anything most people wouldn’t do, just trying my best to look on the bright side, which is not always obvious, but always there somewhere. For instance there’s the growing appreciation for abilities I once took for granted, like going to the bathroom without help. And always in front of my mind is the Amazing Rachel, who has been more than awesome! She has not only taken care of my every need: kept me fed, clean and clothed, organized a gazillion doctor’s appointments and medications, but been willing to talk to people, handle visitors, update the blog regularly, even when there is no good news to share, per se. but also support me emotionally while she is struggling with plenty of her own very tough questions and uncertainties. It has been easy to remain optimistic with the overwhelming support being offered by basically everybody we know. It seems that each person we talk to asks what they can do to help, and I never know what to say, because to ask for any more help just seems selfish, when we already have people bringing us food and helping out with the kids, mowing our lawn, donating money, and offering more of all the same all the time. We have been so blessed through this whole process it is humbling, which may well be the point of the whole experience, I guess time will tell. Don’t worry, some day I’ll get some good news and we’ll post it up here proudly for all to see.  Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers.  - Mark

4 comments:

Becca said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Mark. You may feel like you don't deserve the compliments, but you do. You are handling this with so much patience and positiveness (is that a word?). I like your thinking that there will be good news to share one day, because there will be! I hope that you don't have to "suffer patiently through something awful" when chemo and radiation start! Here's hoping for as few side affects (effects? I never know) as possible!

Cherish said...

You've got lots of people who love and admire you both! Know that many prayers are being said on your behalf. Thank you for your example!

Jenny Gardner said...

So good to hear your thoughts Mark. I second Becca that you (and of course Rachel) definitely deserve the praise!!

Love to you all.

Sabrina Gardner said...

Like the others already said, we enjoyed hearing from you, Mark. We are so glad you're part of the family and that both you and Rachel are amazing. We are praying for you all and looking forward to coming out in August and being with the family.