Friday, August 19, 2011

Corn Field

Keeping animals (usually raccoons) out of the corn field is a rather big problem out here this time of year.  Surprisingly it's not a problem in the winter when there's no corn.  I'm not quite sure why it's so much harder when the corn is about to get ready to harvest, but I'm sure there's a reason...

Well, whatever the reason, the electric fence went up a while ago, and every now and then it needs checking on.  The kids love any excuse to go outside, so they joined Grandpa up in the corn field.

Emmie Sue and Ethan keeping an eye on this part.

Shelly walking along one side to check for weeds that might interfere with the flow of current.

No.  I have no idea why she's dressed like that, but some of the previous water pictures might give you a clue as to how clean these kids manage to stay around here.  Not surprisingly, it's hard to keep clean clothes over at the in-laws.  I gave them about 5 or 6 outfits per child at the beginning of the summer, and they are really good at keeping something clean for them to wear (we rotate what is actually over there, as they get the clothes they were wearing dirty, and they wear the clean clothes home that used to be there), but occasionally they can use that whole batch in just a day or two, and then clothing must be improvised....  Anyways, that was a really long explanation.  Back to the fence.

Jason checking out this area

I think he might have touched it here...  Not quite sure.

Lots of work to get the corn in and the critters out.  It's worth it though!

No comments: