Sunday, June 12, 2011

Suzanne Elizabeth aka Annie (for now)

We've named her! Suzanne Elizabeth. We'll call her Annie.

Naming kids is always an adventure with us. We have a hard time naming a baby before we've seen it. Part of that comes from not knowing the sex of the baby, but even the one time we did know - it didn't help. So, we've given up naming kids before they're born. Even thinking of names doesn't really work. We're able to eliminate several, but that's about where it stops.

So, the night after the baby was born I was laying in bed thinking I wanted to call her Annie. I didn't want to name her that, just call her that - I'm not sure why. I like nicknames and how do you nickname a nickname? (That sentence sounds much stranger than I meant it to) I forgot about wanting to call her that by the next morning though and we went through our normal 'what do we call this thing?' routine. We had a few ideas, but all that really sounded right was to call her Sunshine. (Each of our kids have their own pet name. Shelly is Baby Doll, Jason is Mr Man, Emily is Munchkin, and now Annie is Sunshine)

We had been thinking that since the baby was born on Katie's birthday, it would be fun if they had a similarity in names as well. We couldn't use the nickname 'Sue' since Emmie Sue already had that one, so we dropped that idea. I still wanted to call her Annie, so we started looking at names that would nickname to Annie. None of them seemed quite right.

We had laughed at Robby's post on our family's page about traditional naming of kids. (Matt and Sabrina are expecting a boy, and they weren't going to follow tradition and name the baby 'Matt,' after the father. Robby said they could go with the other tradition of naming their baby 'Jason' since he is the only other grandson on that side - it was hilarious, but I'm horrible at re-telling stories). We had joked at the time about how we could go with tradition and name a baby Elizabeth and use Betty or Eliza as a nickname. (I do like that name, at least in part because of all the nickname possibilities - I do like me some good nicknames!)

Finally we realized that, while it was a stretch, Suzanne would nickname to Annie. So we toyed around with naming her Suzanne. It doubly fit since it's Katie's middle name. Then came the trouble of finding a middle name. We tried several different names, but the one that we thought sounded the best was Elizabeth. Since we had joked about it earlier it took us a while to decide if that was actually a smart thing to do. We finally decided to go with it, smart or not, we liked the way it sounded.

Once we had gotten Suzanne in our head, we thought that Annie really wasn't the best nickname from that. So we thought of calling her Suzie. Suzie Q for fun (Mark thought it would be fun to have an Emmie Sue and a Suzie Q). It was super cute in our heads, but somehow that didn't quite seem right. We went with that for a day or so, but it didn't stick. I still like the nickname, and might switch back and forth, but with Emily being so closely related to Sue in my head, it throws me off. Of course Emmie and Annie aren't exactly the least similar sounding names around either... One positive of sticking with Annie is that Emily can say Annie really well, and Suzie not at all - but that's just an added bonus.

No comments: