Monday, May 30, 2011

The Sabbath - Day 6 (Stolen from Katie)

I didn't see much of the kids today. I had church at 11 and Cindy's was at 1. I waited till they were out of church to go and see them. When I opened the door I was greeted by three naked babies - they were in the middle of changing from sunday clothes to play clothes. Cindy said that they did really good in church, even though it was in the middle of Emily's nap time.

Because Emily didn't get a nap, I got sick of her screaming and put her to bed early. She did just fine until it was time for the other two to go to sleep. Shelly and Jason have been sleeping in Cindy's room - instead of up in the attic - because Cindy turns on a movie for them when they wake up in the middle of the night, which is why they've been waking up in the middle of the night. I was reading scriptures to them, but Shelly was being disruptive. I ended up sending her up to the attic since she wouldn't settle down. She screamed bloody murder at me all the way up the stairs and for the next half hour - effectively waking Emily up in the process and not allowing her to go back to sleep. I finished reading to Jason, warning him that he'd also be sent up to the attic if he came out of the room.

Since Shelly was still screaming, I went up and read to her. Then we had a silent fight over whether or not she would stay in the attic - Emily was crying through all of this, bytheway - and I ended up at the bottom of the attic stairs reading scriptures to both Shelly and Emily through closed doors. After 20 minutes Emily was asleep, mostly, and Shelly was still sniffling softly. I opened the door to talk to Shelly, hoping to find a common ground and get her to sleep. I asked why she didn't want to sleep in the attic, her answer was that it wasn't as fun. I informed her that Cindy would not be turning on anymore movies in the middle of the night, instead she would be reading scriptures if they woke up. Shelly still wanted to sleep in there, so we settled on her sleeping in Cindy's room only if she would be quiet while I read a few more verses of scriptures and if she stayed in there. I let Cindy know the new rules - no movies, only scriptures if the kids woke up - and I left for the night. We'll see the results of Aunt Katie's tough love tomorrow.

No comments: