Sunday, May 22, 2011

I'm Amazing!

Shelly: Mommy, I think you're amazing!

Me: Why am I amazing?

Shelly: Because the bacon is in the pan!



Kids are so easy to please!! :-)

Shelly said this to me while I was beginning to make breakfast. I'm just glad that she said it at the beginning of breakfast...

Breakfast turned into an adventure. The smoke alarm went off, and I burned a 'bottom of the pan' shaped mark into our butcher top counter... I still have to scrub it to see if it will come out, but I'm not overly hopeful.

What happened was I was cooking bacon in a cast iron pan for breakfast and when the bacon was done and the grease drained, I turned off the unit to cool a bit while I got the eggs ready to cook in the same pan, but apparently missed and turned it on high instead (I discovered this several minutes later, after the drama). Bacon grease smokes. A lot. Especially if left on a hot unit that's getting hotter... A minute or two later I noticed the pan was smoking and took it off the stove (full of clean dishes on the cool units - it's a habit). If the unit had been turned off, like I thought I had done, the pan would have been fine on the butcher block, but not coming off a burner on high... So, while I'm trying to get eggs ready, the bacon grease smoke sets off the fire alarm, and once that's all taken care of, I pick up the pan to put it back on the stove to cook the eggs and see a large burn mark on the counter. All in all, it was an adventurous breakfast.

No comments: