This was Shelly's observation yesterday morning. It was actually a fairly good one, really. It's also probably true to some extent (for her, at least). But it was also so tragic and pathetic sounding. If she hadn't been crying when she said it, it might have even been funny!
Mark was being the awesome guy that he is and making breakfast for us. I was being the lazy bum that I am and was feeding the baby upstairs while Mark had the other kids help him cook breakfast. So, I'm sitting upstairs not really worrying about much and all of a sudden I hear a scream that intensified for about 3-5 seconds and I assumed that Jason had hold of Shelly's hair (which if I had thought about it, I would have realized that I had just finished putting it into a french braid - so it wasn't likely that Jason could have grabbed just a small piece). Then I heard Mark's voice 'Put your hand under the cold water!' I was a little bit more nervous at that point... I jumped us, startling the baby - she started screaming - and ran down the stairs to see what happened and found Shelly screaming/bawling/crying/whining and Mark holding her hand under the sink.
Here's what happened: [name that show]
Mark was making scrambled eggs (the fast way, on high heat and you take the pan off the heat when it starts to cook on the sides, and then put it back on the heat to finish) and when the eggs were finished cooking he took the pan off the stove to dish the eggs onto a plate. We're not entirely sure exactly what Shelly was thinking - she probably wanted to see if the stove was hot - and stuck her fingers right onto the hot unit. That had just been turned off. Of high. Needless to say - it was hot! She ended up with burn blisters on all four of her fingers (not her thumb) of her right hand. Imagine you're being fingerprinted: the parts with ink on them - that's what burned. We went from thinking it wasn't a big deal, to seeing the blisters forming after less than a minute or two and thinking it was bad, to leaving her hand under cool running water for probably 30 minutes, to realizing the blisters had looked worse before we made her fingers wrinkly from being in water so long, to finally realizing she would probably live and even still have her fingers intact. I tried to take a picture of the injury, but her fingers were so prune-y that it didn't really show anything.
All this happened about half and hour before Joy School - so we let her choose if she wanted to go or not. Her half crying response (shortly after the incident while she was still in running water) was 'I can't go to Joy School without fingers!' We let her stay home and watch a movie and eat cookies and ice cream for breakfast. Of course, you can't let Shelly eat that kind of food and not have Jason notice... So, they both got pampered. After we drugged Shelly with some Motrin she was feeling better and we spent the rest of the day fairly normal. She even felt well enough to visit Grammy at work [and we had quite a treat there - but that's another post, this one is already forever long!]
[Update] I got the pictures I took off the camera.
3 comments:
Is it horrible of me to be laughing after reading that?
Ooh! Ooh! I know! Monk!
Poor Shelly.....but she always says the cutest and funniest things! I want to hear more about how Joy School is going!
Post a Comment