Tuesday, September 1, 2009

She Sleeps!!

I'm fully aware that I have TONS! of updating to do. It's been one crazy summer - which has left me with little time to update, and much stuff that needs updating. It's a horrible situation to be in, but it's been fun to live through! (mostly - there were some intense parts, but I forget what they were, so it's all good). So, since Katie has officially reprimanded* me (see the comments on Emily is Born), here goes nothing!

*I never exaggerate!

So, I've considered myself lucky with this most recent baby (not that I wasn't lucky with the last two - but they were harder as newborns). Emily has been the most calm and pleasant baby I've had so far. I'm not sure how much of that is me just responding differently to babies, or how much is her just being super easy to please - but I've found a new enjoyment of newborns I thought wasn't possible before :-) [for anyone willing to listen, I warn them that newborns are much more work than they're worth until about 3 months of age, when they can start to interact more and it's more than just feeding, changing, cleaning, screaming] While she is a rather pleasant baby who is fine to just lay around and be happy (read - 'not screaming'), I think a large part of it for me has been how well she sleeps. It's amazing how easy it is to feel sane when you're getting enough sleep. At about 2 weeks Emily was sleeping for 6 hours almost all the time (in the entire 7 weeks of her life, I can count only about 2 or 3 bad nights when she woke up more often than she had been previously waking). While in Cedar on our way up for our Utah trip for Education Week and Labor Day, she started doing 7 hours (that would put her around 5 weeks old). She's been good with that for the last two weeks and the night before last we woke up and had to make sure she was still alive after she slept for almost 8 hours. This morning - we fed her at midnight, just before bed (I have no idea why we were up that late!!), and it's now 8:58 and she's still asleep. She's at 9 hours and counting. Mark had to check to make sure she was still breathing... Now we just need to be smarter about when we get to bed!! Maybe we'll be smarter once we get back to California and have to actually wake up with the other kids. It's been nice to have the kids at the in-laws so we don't have to wake up when they get up (at 6 in the morning! who's insane enough to want to wake up that early!?)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hooray for sleep!! I don't get much of that now that school has started. I just woke up from a two hour nap that I shouldn't have taken. I need to do homework! Luckily nothing's due till Friday, so I have some time. Anyway, it was awesome to find something new to read on here ;) I was pleasantly surprised. I can't wait for y'all to come back through so I can see ya!!