Friday, September 18, 2009

What is going on here?!

I pulled out one my of my mom's old memory games to play with Shelly. We were taking a break from trying to get the house back in shape again - it still needs help from Doug leaving and the rooms moving around. Shelly and I were playing with 9 matches (18 cards) and I swear I was actually trying to win - but the first round we played she totally beat me 7 to 2. I would turn over a new card, and she would remember where the matches were! She only got lucky once, that I could tell. All the other matches she got were from cards we'd seen before and she looked like she knew right where she wanted to go. It was a little crazy! I was more than a little embarassed to lose a game I thought I was good at to my 3 year old! You see why I probably shouldn't be a parent? Instead of being proud of her so doing so well, I was totally selfish and thinking only of myself and how horrible it is to lose to a 3 year old! I'm sure there's something wrong with that picture...

We played a few more rounds and I won the next one - I was done with losing! - and I realized that the first game must have been beginner's luck, so I started to take it a little bit easier on her. [I did want her to still enjoy learning and playing with me, after all] I still won, but not by as much and I let her help me find my matches when she looked like she knew where the cards were. Mark came up towards the end of the first round and was amazed that she had won. Then he watched me play with her the rest of the time and saw me taking it easy on her and assumed that's how she won the first game - it wasn't. I don't want to talk about it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hahahahaha!!! That is too awesome!! I guess you do have some of Mom in ya, not being willing to lose to your children...

Debbie said...

Hey, I resemble that!!!