Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Oh, Internet - Where are you? (In the blue cows belly!)

So, we’ve been out of the loop for a while now. We moved to UT in the beginning of April, and haven’t had internet available for our house since. We also have no TV (forgot the cable that wires it to the wall, and pretty sure we need a converter too), and we don’t have a newspaper – it took me weeks before I even knew there was an oil spill – I did wonder on occasion why people were brining up the one in Alaska again after so many years… We finally decided it was time to try to get hooked up again, but there were limited options available where we were (on a farm, on the edge of civilazation, and not technically in a city). The condo complex almost across the street from us has several options, but because the wires aren’t in place to get service here, and really no motivation for many wires to get here, our options are limited.
We tried one that uses satellites (Digis – the cheapest of the options), and were told over the phone that coverage around here was great, but apparently there are trees in the way of one of their satellites (both ours and our neighbors about 100 yards north). There was another satellite they tried, but it was up on the benches and apparently we come down from the road just enough for that one not to work either. Satellites: officially out. There were two other internet options that said online that they had access to our address, but in calling one (Quest – I think they use phone lines) they said it wouldn’t work, and the other (Comcast – most expensive of the three. pretty sure they use cable) says it should work, but our address isn’t in their database and it will take a few days for them to check and see if it really will work. While those around us have this same cable service, the house we are in has never had cable – so I’m not sure how that will work, or if it will cost us a ton of set-up money to get wires coming into the house… We might actually be unable to get internet at our house. I guess we’ll see in a few days!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Haha! The title made me LOL out loud! :D

Rachel said...

Somehow I knew you'd be the first to notice all my new work!

I'm almost caught up! Just a few more to finish off the beginning of the year and then I can move forward! Yea for progress!!