So, after the drama with the canceled Dr apt and making a last minute same day appointment Mark and I went to the appointment on Friday July 10th at 10:00 am ready for almost anything (or so I thought). I had been kinda hoping to wait until Monday the 13th to have the unknown-gender-kid - that way they could share a birthday with Uncle Nate, but Becca was in town for the weekend, and wanted to see the kid - I was tired of being pregnant and the Dr wanted me to be induced sooner rather than later. So off I went to the hospital be induced. It was just a quick walk down the hall to the hospital where I got a delivery room and prepped for labor. I was in bed and ready to get started around 11 or so. A nurse came in and felt the position of the head and decided the head didn't feel like it was quite in the right position. She wanted an ultrasound to make sure everything was ok, so we waited for the midwife to come in and double check before starting the pit-drip. Our moms came at some point while we were waiting - they came and left several times during the whole process. Apparently it was hard to decide between us and the other grandkids - not sure I blame them.
Around 1:00 we finally got we finally got underway. I went without an epidural until around 8:00 when I finally decided I was tired and since everyone in the room was telling me not to be an idiot - why not? So I got an epidural and then they came in to break my water. Apparently some time between 8:15 when the epidural kicked in and 8:30 when they came to break my water - my water broke on it's own. I didn't feel a thing. So, freshly epiduraled-up I tried to take nap - but there was too much going on the room and I didn't want to miss any conversation, so it was hard to sleep. It got easier to rest when Moms left and Mark napped on the couch. Mark also read to me a little - The Count of Monte Cristo. I'm pretty sure we only made it his father's house (I did say 'a little') but it was fun to have him reading to me. Around 1 in the morning the epidural started wearing off on one side, so they turned me and moved me and tried to get it pooling better so it would work right. Eventually the pain got bad enough - and I was only at a 6 - that they came in to give me a bolus shot (I think that's the right word - it's basically a booster shot). About 5 minutes later I was throwing up - at first I thought it was a bad reaction to the meds, but then the midwife checked me again and somehow I went from a 6 to a 10 in less than 10 minutes (I'm not sure if the nurse checked wrong or it really was that fast - but either way I was happy to be almost done and miserable to be throwing up!)
For the first time Mark didn't usher the parental units out and both moms got to be there when the baby was born. We didn't find out the gender of the baby and somehow I had gotten it in my head that the baby was going to be a boy - and when the midwife said 'it's a girl' and proceeded to put a slimy gross baby on my bare belly, all I could think was 'are you sure?' So much for bonding... It was 2:20 in the morning and I was tired and the goo was gross and sticky and I was tired and it wasn't the boy I thought it was but that's ok - just confusing and I was still numb from the booster shot and I hate throwing up and why did the nurse have to rip off my clothes to put this gross thing on my belly and what happened to bathing babies before making me touch them and what a cute alien looking thing on my belly and eew it's stinky and is the baby really out of me and it's late and I'm tired and do I really have to touch this goop and what are you doing down there doc and I still can't feel my legs and someone's taking pictures but my clothes have been violently ripped off me and replaced with this goopy alien thingy - am I modest and is that Mark cutting the cord or am I still out of it and it weighs how much and are you done yet doc and can I go back to sleep yet? The rest is even more of a blur...
Here's some pictures!
Around 1:00 we finally got we finally got underway. I went without an epidural until around 8:00 when I finally decided I was tired and since everyone in the room was telling me not to be an idiot - why not? So I got an epidural and then they came in to break my water. Apparently some time between 8:15 when the epidural kicked in and 8:30 when they came to break my water - my water broke on it's own. I didn't feel a thing. So, freshly epiduraled-up I tried to take nap - but there was too much going on the room and I didn't want to miss any conversation, so it was hard to sleep. It got easier to rest when Moms left and Mark napped on the couch. Mark also read to me a little - The Count of Monte Cristo. I'm pretty sure we only made it his father's house (I did say 'a little') but it was fun to have him reading to me. Around 1 in the morning the epidural started wearing off on one side, so they turned me and moved me and tried to get it pooling better so it would work right. Eventually the pain got bad enough - and I was only at a 6 - that they came in to give me a bolus shot (I think that's the right word - it's basically a booster shot). About 5 minutes later I was throwing up - at first I thought it was a bad reaction to the meds, but then the midwife checked me again and somehow I went from a 6 to a 10 in less than 10 minutes (I'm not sure if the nurse checked wrong or it really was that fast - but either way I was happy to be almost done and miserable to be throwing up!)
For the first time Mark didn't usher the parental units out and both moms got to be there when the baby was born. We didn't find out the gender of the baby and somehow I had gotten it in my head that the baby was going to be a boy - and when the midwife said 'it's a girl' and proceeded to put a slimy gross baby on my bare belly, all I could think was 'are you sure?' So much for bonding... It was 2:20 in the morning and I was tired and the goo was gross and sticky and I was tired and it wasn't the boy I thought it was but that's ok - just confusing and I was still numb from the booster shot and I hate throwing up and why did the nurse have to rip off my clothes to put this gross thing on my belly and what happened to bathing babies before making me touch them and what a cute alien looking thing on my belly and eew it's stinky and is the baby really out of me and it's late and I'm tired and do I really have to touch this goop and what are you doing down there doc and I still can't feel my legs and someone's taking pictures but my clothes have been violently ripped off me and replaced with this goopy alien thingy - am I modest and is that Mark cutting the cord or am I still out of it and it weighs how much and are you done yet doc and can I go back to sleep yet? The rest is even more of a blur...
Here's some pictures!
(water broke on it's own)
Or is it just beginning?
Baby all gone
Thanks
No comments:
Post a Comment