Thursday, July 9, 2009

Irvine Zoo

While Rob and Jenny were in town and before there was another baby to deal with, we all decided to go to the Irvine Park. Now, don't get confused. The park isn't actually in Irvine. I think it's actually in Orange. It's named for the man who used to own the land, not for the city it isn't in. It's a tiny bit of a drive (about 15 minutes), but it was well worth it!
Shelly and Jason fell asleep on the way there...

Here's a picture of me one day before my due date. I was rather large...
Apparently my mom-in-law wanted a picture of my backside because she says I didn't look pregnant from the back. I wouldn't know - I never looked (not that I could have seen if I'd tried). I mostly like this picture because it looks like Mark is checking me out. Really, he's just adjusting his glasses after bending down to set up and load the stroller, but I can dream right?
Because I was quite a bit pregnant and I wasn't sure I'd be able to walk very far, we brought my Grammy's wheelchair for me to use (don't worry - she didn't need it. She's been dead for years)
Here's a shot of our great new stroller! It was one of it's maiden voyages and we're in love with it! It's a double seater with a sit-n-stand part in the back. The kids had fun seeing who could sit where.

Inside the park are several different areas to play. There's a zoo, a train ride, pony rides, a lake, bikes to rent, grassy areas to play in, a play ground and more that we didn't have time/energy for.
There was a feeding/petting part of the zoo that the kids enjoyed. Becca had fun helping the nieces feed the goats.
Shelly finally caught on how to do it herself and was even brave enough! Lizzie did it alone too, but I don't have any pictures of it...
Jason kept forgetting to open his hand...
Even Gracie wanted to get in on the action
We happened to be there at the right time and they let us in to help brush the goats!
Rob doing his best to convince Grace that the animals were fun to pet and brush
Uncle Doug showing Shelly how to brush going with the hair, not against.
She wasn't having any fun. Why do you ask?
Jason thought it was quite the project.
Here he his asking his sister and cousin if he's doing it right.
And then he needed to find the right tools - or two of them
And proceed to brush the poor goat with two brushed in two different directions...Jenny and Lizzie seemed to enjoy the action too
Becca looks less enthralled
Elaine, Robert, Katie and I all had more fun watching than joining in. Dad and I seemed to have more fun sitting than standing. Katie seems to enjoy making faces at the camera-man/woman (I have no idea who took this picture)

Jason found a bunny hutch on the way out of the petting part of the zoo.
Next came a ride on the train. Katie and Jason took the front. Dad and Grace are in the seat just behind them. If you look closely through the background you can see where Mark & I ended up (well, just Mark is visible - but we sat next to each other, so assume I'm next to him)
The girls sat just behind us, with Rob and Jenny in the next row and Elaine behind them.
Just pretend they look excited... It's better that way.
Here's Shelly! That arm and piece of shirt you see next to the board isn't really there. Shelly really is that tall and didn't need Aunt Becca to help hold her up. Either that or I'm lying. One of the two - I'll let you decide... :)
We tried to get one a Jason, but he would only show us the back of his head. Not overly exciting. The twerp!

No comments: