There was a last minute addition of Mark's Uncle that changed the plans of who was going to be riding in what and Mark and I ended up taking two separate small rafts down (we found out later that the big double inner tube that aunt and uncle took was originally meant for us). It was quite an adventure to say the least. We were both wearing flip flops - which we were warned would be better left in the car, so we went barefoot. Mark had the car key his pocket and we left everything else either in our car or our ride further up the river. We pushed into the water and within 20-40 feet we had capsized and there was a ton of water in our rafts and it was COLD! We hadn't even made it out to the middle of the river yet, and already we were in trouble. Mark offered to get out and walk back to the car, but I didn't want to be a chicken and since our car was further down the river we would have had to wait outside on the ground until everyone else finished and then were able to drive up to pick up the other car. So, off we went. About 10-15 minutes later I realized that my toe was hurting more than it should have been. After recently bumping it pretty good I figured it was just a bruise on top of the other bruise and didn't worry about it. About 5 minutes later I got curious... I grabbed my toe to see just how bad I had bumped it and saw a flap of skin that shouldn't have been there. I think that was about when the shock/panic set it. I was in an unfamiliar setting doing relatively unfamiliar things with an unknown injury and an unknown end to the situation. I had no idea how much longer I was going to have to be on the river and suddenly I had a gash on my toe and was terrified of falling out of the raft again and causing more unknown damage to my already damaged foot. Thankfully I had spent a summer or two in middle school with some friends camping near a river and had learned how to paddle a canoe fairly well solo. I think it was the only thing that saved me. I would have really lost it (more than already had) if I didn't think I could handle the paddling. Another problem was that our rafts were rather low in the water and the river had quite a few shallow parts. Mark figured out that if he used his shoulders and legs to lift his rear out of the water he wouldn't hit as many rocks with his rear. I didn't like being in that position because it was too hard to control where I was going - I couldn't paddle like that. I did take me a good amount of prayer and almost an hour to finally realize that my best chance of survival was to stop freaking out and gain control of myself and the situation. It's sad that it took that long... Once I got control of myself again, it was rather enjoyable - at least as much as it could be with a throbbing toe, a sore bum, a fear of falling in and being freezing! Mark and I decided that while the first time might not have been anywhere near ideal, if we ever did it again we'd be better prepared and would be able to enjoy it.
So we finally were able to pull out of the river and we started unloading all our stuff - taking off life jackets, etc. Of course we were barefoot. Normally being barefoot doesn't bother me - but with an open wound on my foot, I was a bit hesitant. Mark is not a fan of going without shoes (probably a product of growing up on a farm with puncture weeds and manure and rocks and ants and stuff - strange how he got that habit...) and his feet aren't well suited to doing it without pain. He planned to walk over the gravel driveway to find out parked car a few hundred yards away and went to get the key out of his pocket and realized it wasn't there. My spare keys were in our car as were our cell phones and anything else we needed or thought might be useful. We were also the first ones of the group out of the water (I think it's because we were so low in the water that the current was able to take us faster - both good and bad), and we spent a good 5-10 minutes waiting for the others and trying not to freak out more. I decided to check the corners of the rafts to see if it was maybe still in the raft and not under the water up where we had fallen out just after getting in. We struck out on finding the key in the raft, but just as Mark was putting his raft back on the ground I spotted a life saving glint on the ground! The key had fallen out of Mark's pocket and stayed in the raft until we got out and turned them upside down let the water out while we waited. We were feeling both a little cursed and quite a bit blessed that day!
Those of you who are squeamish - don't look! I'm going to put up a picture of my toe. It's the least gory of the ones we took, and doesn't really show how deep it was, but at least an idea of where it was on my toe. Mark made me go to the insta care to get stitches. I don't have insurance that works in UT - and it's a high deductible anyways, so I get to pay for the entire cost of the stitches. I'm excited for that bill to come! :-) The doc said that stitches might not be necessary but he wanted to check for dirt and needed to numb it to look, and as long as it was numb, he'd stitch it up for me. It took two stitches and Mark's cousin who's a nurse took the stitches out for me so I didn't have to go back and pay even more! :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment