Monday, September 22, 2008

Grandma and Grandpa Gardner

I usually try to visit my grandparents while I'm up in UT, but there are times when it doesn't work out. I'm really glad we went this time. We had a good visit. Grandma's hearing aid was working better than I've seen it ever work, Grandpa was fun to tease (but only a little - he wasn't very talkative) and the kids had fun showing off. It was a good visit. My Aunt Helen took pictures for us and it was fun to get to see her (even if her ice cream didn't make it home before it melted - Sorry Helen!).

It means even more that we went now that we know it was the last time we will get to see both Grandma and Grandpa together in this life. My Grandpa is finally losing the battle with Alzheimer's. They're already planning the funeral and are expecting to be able to have it this Saturday. There's a chance he'll make it longer than that, but for his sake I hope he's able to leave this trial and finally get some rest in the next life while he waits for his wife to join him. He lived a good life and deserves a break after all the trials of his life. Thankfully he seems to have been largely unaware of the trials (one of the few blessing of forgetting everything) but I'm sure it hasn't been easy.

Here's some of the photos from our visit.

That's my Grandpa!
We gave Shelly Grandpa's hat so we could see his face - now we just need them to look up! ;-)
Glad to be able to visit!
Everyone over 4 is smiling at least! :-)
Jason had fun sitting on Great Grandma's lap
Grandpa had fun playing with Shelly - not quite sure what they were playing, but they had fun doing it!

No comments: