Saturday, November 9, 2013

The Hospital: Days 4-6

I'm way behind on updating everyone, and life has been overly tiring lately, so I'm going to cheat and use e-mails that my mom sent out to my immediate family during some of the recent drama.  I'm sorry for not getting this done sooner, but the few spare minutes I've had to myself I've spent keeping myself sane and not worrying about this here blog...  Hopefully life will calm down at some point and I'll be able to get back on top of things.  I'm not holding my breath though, so I recommend you don't either  :)

Tues Oct 22nd:


Hi All,

I don't think I've written for a few days, so here you go:

On Sunday, Mark was rather agitated and restless, probably from the seizure medicine.  He would fuss with his blanket, inching it up until all of the blanket was by his head.  He had a hard time staying in one spot in bed, tossing and turning, getting on his hands and knees, trying to get out of bed.....  Elaine timed it and the longest he stayed in one place was 45 seconds.

I made roast beef, potatoes & gravy and stuffing for Sunday dinner.  Nate & Brooke, Doug, Katie and even Rachel were there for dinner.  LaMont and Elaine came a bit late, but they ate as well.  Julibeth took a turn with Mark at the hospital so everyone else could come.  It was nice to have everyone together and chat.  We had a nice time.

On Monday morning Rachel sent me a text that said, "They have moved Mark to the cardiovascular ICU.  His heart rate dropped down into the 30s overnight - even going down into the 20s.  The move was a precautionary one, everything else looked fine.  Turns out the seizure meds can cause a drop in heart rate, so they're waiting for those to get out of his system and see where he stands.  Guess it is time to try a third seizure drug...:)" [editors note: There was exactly one other case reported to the FDA of that med dropping the heart rate.  Mark apparently was a rare case, and the doc said he would try to make sure he made another report so there would be two :) ]

Mark did just fine while on that floor and by Monday evening he was back on the regular floor - once a room opened up for him.  Mark is approved to have a nurse stay with him 24/7 and the last few nights Rachel and the Schofields have taken advantage of that - it has given them all a much needed break and rest.

Mark has been doing good today and all the doctors have agreed to discharge him and send him home.  There is still paperwork that needs to be done, but Mark should be home by early evening and get to sleep in his own bed - without nurses disturbing him during the night.  There is 'group' tonight and he would love to attend, but Rachel's not sure they will be home in time to go or if Mark will really be up for it.

I'm planning on staying for a day or two to make sure that Mark (and Rachel) are really doing okay before I leave - and that Mark doesn't continue to have seizures and need to go back.  So I might head home on Thursday evening.

The kids will be happy to have their mom and dad home again - but who they REALLY want (and who doesn't) is Nikki!  The girls ask to hold her when she is home and when they visited the hospital.

No comments: