Yesterday I decided it was time for Emily to find a way to say 'Jason.' She hasn't had a name for him yet, and she usually refers to him by pointing. When Katie was here we got Emily to say her name by letting her say 'Tatie', so I thought I'd try the same thing with Jason's name. At the breakfast table I asked Emily to say 'Jason' but she just looked at me like I was nuts. So I shortened it to 'Ason' and she still just looked at me blankly. I know she can say 'A' so I was prompting her to say the sounds separately and then put them together, but all I got was to the 'A' and she spit out 'Dude!' 'Dude' is now Jason's name. It fits right in with her other fun nicknames for family. 'Tatie' for Katie. 'Papa' for Grandpa. 'Bobo' for Grandma. 'Honey' for Aunt JB. 'Eeth' for Ethan. 'Sh Welly' for Shelly.
So, this morning the kids are outside playing. Shelly and Jason were the first to head out. Emily sat on the couch informing me 'Sh Welly side, Dude side' (meaning Shelly and Jason are outside). She had to have told me this about a dozen times. Repeating what she said back to her didn't make her stop, neither did agreeing with her, nor offering to help her go outside... I think she just enjoys the idea that she now has a name for her brother. She finally decided to go outside, and on her way out she told me 'Annie, weeping, bed' (Annie is sleeping in her bed) and 'nother one, shoe, on' (I need my other shoe on)
We have a lot of fun listening to her talk!
No comments:
Post a Comment