Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Shelly and Potty Training

Apparently it's been a while... Life has been pretty crazy. We had fun having Becca down for a short visit last weekend, and now Katie is coming down this weekend for a whole week! How exciting. On Saturday Shelly decided she wanted to be potty trained. She came and told us she was poopy, so we checked her diaper, but she wasn't poopy yet. Then a few minutes later - we believed her [stinky!]. I realized that she wasn't telling us that she was poopy, but that she was about to be poopy. So, when the same thing happened about 1/2 hour later - guess where we headed! Straight to the toilet. She sat on the toilet like a big girl and pooped in the toilet. It was the first time she'd ever actually used the toilet. She'd sat on it a few times here and there over the last several months, but mostly because she'd asked too, not because we were trying to get her to use it.
So, we spent the rest of Saturday working on potty training. She picked up the concept really well. We have a small potty that she can use without our help. She learned to pull her panties down, sit on the potty, pee in the potty, wipe, stand up and take the pot part of potty to the big toilet, empty the potty into the toilet (she can open doors now - it's actually been rather helpful with this), flush the toilet, put the pot back in the potty, and put her panties back on (we're working on having her not take them all the way off in the first place, but it's lower on the priority list). That was Saturday afternoon! She was on a roll!!
Then I went to go take a nap, and Mark took over with both kids, and Shelly - for all her progress - decided it was easier to mess her panties and then go pee in the potty... So, we took a step back that day. Then Sunday after church and a nap we started her in panties again. She went through several pairs of training panties that day... And the next... But today she's been doing fairly well at keeping them dry, and going potty before the panties get 'poopy' as she calls it. She gets way excited when she goes in the potty and yells 'I did it!' Once she got the concept down, and we knew she had the ability to go in the potty and clean up after herself, we stopped giving her treats unless her panties were still dry after she was done going potty. If she makes a mess, then she has to clean up the mess (I try to help as little as possible, but sometimes it's a must :-), finish going potty like a big girl, empty the pot, put her dirty panties in the 'dirty panty pile,' and put on her clean panties all by herself. She's to the point where she stops herself when she notices she's peeing in the wrong place, and finishes on the potty. It makes clean-up much easier because it's usually just a few drops in her panties. But she still doesn't get a treat... She's tried throwing fits, but once she starts whining she answer is a definite 'no', even if I was about to give her some (sometimes especially then!)
So far today, she's only gone through one pair of panties! Lets just hope this keeps up. I'm ok with accidents (at least I try to tell myself that), especially when they're small, and even more when they stop happening quite so often.
I'm looking forward to being able to put clothes on her again. She's been wearing just shirts and panties, and it's hard to leave the house... I'm waiting until she can stay dry for most of a day before we add pants to the equation. I hope that's not a mistake, but it's too late now. Hopefully that will be sometime later this week (maybe even before Katie gets here! :-)
She's asleep now, and I'm really hoping I don't have to eat these words after she wakes up...

No comments: