Mark took Shelly and Jason to Comb Wash - a regular camping trip to the middle of Nowhere-Southern-Utah over UEA break. It's an area with history attached to the Clingers. Their (great)grandpa (Mark's (great)great-grandpa - I might be off a generation or two...) was among the first to settle the area, and they have journals that mention some of the natural bridges he saw. His journals are dated before the official 'finding' dates posted in the visitors centers down there. This great-something grandpa used to graze his cattle through the area. It's really a rather fun trip. There are caves and indian ruins to visit, and the bridges are pretty cool. I've only been able to go once, when Shelly was a baby. The other times I was either pregnant, had a brand new newborn, lived out of state, or the family didn't go for some reason. It is also one of the few actual 'camping' experiences I've had. I've been camping many a time, but there has always been running water and some sort of bathroom facility nearby (either port-a-potty or actual bathroom). The place they camp down there is equipped with neither of those. They haul their own water in, and dig their own hole for a toilet.
Well, this time, I sprained my ankle really bad about 3 weeks before the trip (when I saw bad, I mean I couldn't touch it for 2 days and couldn't put any weight on it for 3 days and was on crutches for 2 weeks before I could get down to just 1 crutch, and have been limping with a brace on it since - and I consider myself rather tough about these kinds of things...), and realized that if I went I wouldn't be able to hike to any of the places they would go, so I would be stuck in the parking lot or at camp with a baby (probably two) and have a hard time getting around to keep Emily out of trouble, there were few places to put Annie down and there is little shade. We also have the youngest kids of the group that usually goes (other than Shelly and Jason, Ethan and Elmina were the youngest kids there), so our kids would hold up the group. Basically, as much as I was looking forward to going, we decided that it would be better all around (and for my ankle) if I didn't go.
Anyways, while everyone was gone, we had some adventures! I gave Emily a bath (she needed it, but it was a challenge since I couldn't really pick her up and walk at the same time). I got her hair all cute and done (not always a common thing around here) and put in some pajamas for the night - it was early evening, and then turned my attention to the baby. The next time I noticed her, this is what I found...
She had gone into the bathroom and decided that she needed soap in her hair.
I knew there was a reason I stopped worrying about how their hair looks.
I have no control anyways, why pretend?
No comments:
Post a Comment