Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Random thoughts...

So, I must be a weird mood or something, but I'm watching Curious George with Jason and it's an episode where some farmers bring in a gopher exterminator to get rid of some gophers. The exterminator is digging holes and going hog wild on this farmers field and destroying the crop just to get rid of some gophers. I'm sure this doesn't really apply to what it made me think of - but it occurred to me that if it were the farmers making the decisions they would have weighed much more carefully the value of the crop vs. the value of having the gophers gone. There's a lot of work that goes into planting and raising a crop and while gophers are damaging to a crop, there's a point at which getting rid of them would damage more of the crop than the gophers would have. So, my thought was that if the decisions about pretty much anything in life (crops, kids, etc) were left up to un-invested parties the results could be disastrous. Of course, that goes both ways. Sometimes people are too attached to see how much damage is really being done and make bad decisions... I think I just lost my point and talked myself into a circle with no real good way out... Oh well - I did say it was random didn't I?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Woah! What happened to your page?!!?! That was quite the shock when it first popped up. I thought I had clicked on the wrong page for a second there lol. Even though you confused, I like the new look, very festive!
P.S. You're always random, that's why we love you :D

Unknown said...

I meant to say "you confused me" not the other wrong thing I wrote. See, you are very confusing ;)

Dennis Evans said...

Rachel, I love that a cartoon made you all pensive. I think that we find truths in the most mundane places and we can see application for our (mundane?) lives. No. That doesn't sound good!! But, still, I think it may be true. Principles can seem pretty lofty. But gopher hunting, now that's something I can relate to, in a non-gopher kind of way. It's principle applied. I like lessons like that. They make sense to me (believe it or don't!)
~~Judy