Monday, October 13, 2008

Gay Marriage

So, living in CA with this whole issue at the forefront of our days, we as a ward (and I'm assuming this is happening elsewhere than just our ward) have been constantly reminded of how important this upcoming vote will be. There have been dozens, if not more, e-mails sent around with examples of what gay marriage is already influencing and how we can expect it to effect our lives in the future if Prop 8 doesn't pass. There's the story of the 1st grade class that took a school sponsored field trip to see their gay teacher get married, and the 'pro-gay' assembly where they had 14 year olds sign confidentiality waivers disallowing them from telling their parents (that one REALLY bothers me!! - I'm not nearly as worried about the gay issues as the fact they're trying to hide it from parents!), and the father who was arrested because he wanted to be informed about when they were teaching his child about gay issues, and many, many more... There have also been e-mails with links to several different articles written with intent to persuade people to vote for Prop 8, written by people with a wide range of political beliefs, from liberal to conservative and very religious to purely social. I've avoided sending any of them on because they all seemed to only address one or two of the many issues that's I feel are at stake here.

I got one this morning that I think is worth looking into. It's a 25 minute video (it's also probably my computer, but the visual and the audio didn't sync, so I played solitaire while I listened) that I think does a very good job of addressing most of the issues that I believe are on the line. Even if you don't want to spend half an hour playing games on your computer :-) - I think the first 10 minutes or so are probably the key issues for me. It talks about the legal side of things and how we're losing the right to govern ourselves.

For me (personally), while I feel strongly that the best way for people to be happy and raise healthy children is far and away in a traditional relationship - I would be more willing to accept the situation if it wasn't done so obviously against the constitution of the US. If the people of the state of CA had decided that gay marriage was what they wanted, I would have little to complain about (mourn, yes - but not complain quite so much) - but instead the liberal community are making a mockery of our justice system, checks and balances, and constitution; and at the same time abusing that mockery to create the life they think all of us should be forced to endure. What ever happened to government of the people, by the people and for the people?! What's happening here is government of the people, by the judges and for the few. I think it's a shame that too many people either agree with what they did, don't care enough to try to fix it, or - even worse - don't even realize it's wrong! Have we been so indoctrinated with the idea that the judges have the end say that when they start creating legislature (not their job!) that we just let it slide and completely forget about the concept of checks and balances?

Ok, enough from me on that one - I could go on all day! Here's the link to the video I found worthy of passing on. Or if that doesn't work - http://www.afa.net/prop8video/index.html

No comments: