Wednesday, May 8, 2013

More Confusion and Uncertainty! (welcome to our life...)

We had thought that he was going to go to Murray today, but it turns out that he would likely need to start radiation before he would be released.  They can do the radiation up there, but it was unsure if he would be able to transfer back down to here once he was out of the rehab center.  The thought of driving up to Murray daily for over a month to do radiation didn't sound all that exciting.  Also our surgeon, who we have loved having watch over Mark, wouldn't be kept in the loop as easily if we were there.  So, the doc decided that he would prefer to fight a bit longer to get us into the rehab down here, and if that didn't pan out then keep Mark in the hospital for a few more days getting the therapy they do here in the hospital and then send him straight home with out patient or home therapy (or both).  Then we can do the radiation down here, the doc will be able to be kept in the loop as to what's going on, we won't have to drive nearly as far to get Mark the treatment he needs when the time comes.

So, long story short - we're still here.  At the hospital.  We might still be here for a few more days.

I wish I could say that the process hasn't been stressful and annoying, but it has been.  I feel like we got caught in the middle of a political battle between the administrations of the hospital and the rehab center. Somehow the Chief Medial Officer is even getting involved.  I hear there's going to be a meeting tomorrow all about us (well, at least partly about us - I hope we're not the only, or even main, focus).  Drama!  Why can't everyone just get along and figure out what's going to happen and agree with each other?

Oh well...  What can you do?

In other news, Mark's new favorite place to walk is outside.  This evening - after it stopped raining a bit - we grabbed a wheel chair and took him outside.  Once out there, he wanted to start walking.  He went up one sidewalk pushing the wheel chair for stability and then we turned around to come back.  He offered me a ride, so I took him up on it.  There were three other adults with us who were able to be a spotter for him in case his left side gave out, so I felt safe getting in the chair and leaving him to push me.  He pushed me the whole way back down the sidewalk (even did mostly good on the dips and ups of the driveways in the sidewalk), back into the hospital through a door further away from where we came out, through the halls to the elevator, and then back to his room.  Mark did awesome!  He was really tired by the end of it, but it was his farthest walk yet, and he was pushing extra weight!  His leg is improving quickly.

He had some occupational therapy today as well.  I missed it because I had gone out to lunch with my mom to Black Sheep (awesome local restaurant if you're ever in the area!  Highly recommend it!).  He got to try manipulating screws and some nuts and washers, crumpling up a paper towel and throwing it into the trash (with only his left hand), and other types of stuff.  He got his first piece of equipment to work with - one of those stretchy bands.  They also left us a list of things that we can do with him to work on regaining control of his left hand and arm.

I think the exercises were good for him, but he was also discouraged to find out just how little he can do with his left hand.  All his life he has been highly capable physically, and in his mind, he still is.  To come to the realization that he is unable to do things he has taken for granted his whole life has been a bit hard on him.  He is motivated to get it back - and it will come back, it will just take practice and time - but he has found that just how far he really needs to go is a difficult pill to swallow.

The good news is that I am a jerk.  I push him to use his left leg, arm, hand and fingers whenever possible.  Every now and then he gets a little bit annoyed with me (sometimes more than a little be annoyed - mostly he's fine and appreciates the reminder), but he listens and does it and he's getting better.  While I think that acute rehab would be better for him than coming straight home, I also believe that, with his desire to improve and my ability to push him just a tiny bit too far, once we have the training and skills to know what to do, when and how hard to push him, we can make it work with the little bit of outside therapy he'd be getting.

Only time will tell, I guess.  There is still a lot of stuff up in the air.  We hope to know something at some point, but lately it seems as if that might be asking just a little bit too much... :)

4 comments:

Jenny Gardner said...

Wowsers, how freakin frustrating! But it sounds like the surgeon is really on your side and looking out for Mark, which is awesome.

Hopefully a cohesive plan will be presented to you guys very soon. Mark is definitely determined!

Becca said...

I am so bugged for you that this rehab deal has been such drama!!! It will be nice not to go to Murray but would be even nicer if they'd just figure it out there and let him get the help he needs!

Mark is amazing. So good to read about the long walk pushing you and all the work he's doing on his left side. I can imagine its frustrating for him how much he can't do but I'm still amazed at how much he can do!!! It's a long road ahead but you guys can do it!

Laurie said...

This would be another one of those moments where all I have to say is, "What Becca said." I'm so sorry you've been caught in the middle of medical politics. I know that Mark is nowhere near as strong as he wants to be, but it is truly AMAZING that he's been progressing as quickly as he has been. You guys are amazing! Thanks (again) for keeping us posted on what's happening in your world. Love you!

Sabrina Gardner said...

Oh man, I hope they can resolve this soon! We're relieved to hear that he's doing better. Way to be a jerk. :-) sounds like it's a good quality right now. Know we still think about you all a a lot. Every time beth hears your names she says, "Mark and Rachel are sick and we need to pray for them." I'm sure lots of three year old prayers account for something.