Tuesday, July 29, 2008
Whole Lotta Shakin'!
So, we experienced our first earthquake since moving back. Both Mark and I have been in at least one big one - me when I was 9 in No. Ca. and Mark while on his mission in El Salvador - but this was the first one we've been in since having kids - and let me tell you - It's much more terrifying when there are kids around. It still wasn't all that bad, but where I would have just been interested and almost even enjoying, I was now worried about where the kids were and if they were safe and if it was going to be getting bigger, etc, etc. It wasn't really all that big of an earthquake by CA standards. A mere 5.4 and it was 45 minutes away - but that initial uncertainty was a bit unsettling. Mark and I were upstairs cleaning out our playroom (it desperately needed it - and still needs more - but it's past our ability to finish since it's not all our stuff) and the kids were downstairs and outside playing with their Aunt Danielle. She had them well under control and if I'd realized where they were I would not have worried nearly as much. But without being able to see them I wasn't sure where they were and what was around them that might topple on their heads if the quake got any bigger. I have a habit of letting the kids wander and only coming to their aid if they need me - generally I think it's a fairly good plan, but it does mean that I'm not always aware of where they are at any given moment (always in the house or back yard, but not often much more specific than that). So, once our adrenaline wore off after having raced downstairs to locate and protect the kids (the quake was over before we even made it down the stairs) we came back upstairs to finish cleaning and to watch the news. Apparently they say it was felt as far as Las Vegas and San Diego, but I doubt they would have felt too much at either place. There was no structural damage to the area - at least as far as I know so far - and the only injuries I've heard about were two old ladies who hit their heads trying to get under a table. So, all in all, a fairly good quake :-) We like ones that don't destroy lives or property. Then they become more like a fun roller coaster!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
We are all grateful that none of you were hurt. Enjoy the ride.
Crazy! I remember the earth quake we had in Scotts Valley like it was yesterday. I am so glad you were all safe, I am sure it is a whole new experience with kids yikes!!
That is scary for me but I am glad the kids are safe and sound. I remember feeling a tremor while on a layover in Japan and had no idea what it was. I just thought a plane was flying over. It was my first experience and hopefully my last.
Post a Comment