We had several fun adventures over the last weekend. Most of us went down to Cedar City to help my aunt in her class (the kids are often her helpers with her pediatrics lab - they are weighed and measured by her students). Shelly opted to stay up here and go to school. Grandma and Grandpa kept her and made sure she got to school. They also had lots of fun plans and activities to do with her while they had just one for the whole weekend! From all accounts it appears they had quite a bit of fun.
Jason did not pass up the chance to miss school and came with us. He got to see a few of his Camp Kesem councilors. One of them (Mufasa) was a student who came to do the measuring lab. He then asked if he could tell others they could come say hi. Mumble and Chewy ended up stopping by and stayed for quite a while. The kids had a blast playing with them! Mumble got Nikki to sleep (amazing!) and still managed to play with the other kids - while holding a sleeping baby, and Chewy was a living jungle gym. It was quite touching to see how much the councilors cared about the kids. I grow more and more impressed with Camp Kesem every time I interact with them! Jason has decided that Mumble is his favorite, with Bubbles a close second (I saw her briefly at a fundraising dinner they happened to have that same weekend - that was more touching than I had anticipated, seeing all the people there who truly cared about kids of cancer patients. It hit closer to home than I was quite ready for and I got in some great practice at self control!). Jason is really looking forward to camp this summer. He even asked if we were going straight there on our way home. Sorry Jason, you'll just have to wait...
Emily and Annie had fun while we were down there too. They got to play with Rae at Aunt Grandma's house! Not sure Rae (7 months old) quite appreciated it as much as they did, but they had fun. I tried taking them all to an awesome park down there that my sister had introduced me to a few years ago, but both times within just a few minutes of showing up it started to rain. Wishful thinking did not fix the weather. Maybe next time! :)
The biggest news though! Nikki learned how to sit! She's not able to get there by herself (or even roll over yet), but if you set her down sitting up, she'll stay for a good long time! The first day of the measuring lab she could sit for a few minutes - especially if someone was close by to catch her when she bobbled. By the end of the weekend, we could leave her alone on the floor and she could stay up all by herself! At least until some child (usually Annie) came over to 'hug' her and knocked her over instead. Nikki's growing up!
I'm can't decide if I'm excited or sad about that... She's likely to be my last one (at least for the foreseeable future - I can hope for more, but I'm afraid it's not up to me at the moment...) and while I love the idea of the kids growing up (especially since I'm not the biggest newborn person) this is still a fun time that I'm a little sad to see coming (and going) so quickly. Guess I'll just have to enjoy it while I can! :)
5 comments:
What a great idea to have real kids for pediatric labs! (I feel like I'm channeling Pinocchio - I'm a real boy!) We sure could have used that when I was in nursing school. Ava just turned one today and I feel like time is moving so fast with her. Wish we all lived closer so our babies could be BFFs! ;-) I'm so glad the camp counselors can be such a positive, loving influence in your kids' lives. That camp is truly a place where they can feel understood and that they're not alone. Don't forget to take care of yourself! Love you!
What a great camp, glad to know about it. I hear you with the melancholy feeling of babies growing up, I've felt that too! Thanks for the update on your cute family.
xoxoxo
Rachel, I just LOVE reading your posts!!!! Thanks for doing them! How cool that Jason ran into his camp counselors, that they remembered him and spent time with him while he was in Cedar :-).
The title of "Aunt Grandma" gets me every time!
Glad you had a good weekend in Cedar. It's so true...babies grow up way too fast! Mine will be driving next summer, huh???
Think of you everyday & would love to see you soon.
We love that park in Cedar City, too! Sorry you didn't get to go there. Did you know that there is one like that here in Lindon? (I'm assuming we're talking about the wooden castle parks) I feel a lot the same about Nathan growing up that you feel about Nikki. It's so bittersweet.
Post a Comment