Thursday, October 3, 2013

We're having a baby!

Wow, it was really weird to write those words...  This baby has not sunk in yet.  End of pregnancy, certainly.  New baby, not so much.

We have plans to be induced tomorrow.  There's also supposed to be a storm coming in tonight, which often causes labor to begin (for other women, not me) so there's a chance I'll be bumped till later.

I keep telling myself that.  I find that if I adjust these kinds of expectations I have much less disappointment in life.  This way, I can be super excited if they call me in first thing in the morning (well, not that excited, I would love to sleep in a bit).  And if they don't call me in until later, then it's not really any different than I was expecting, so life is still good.

I have had less weak spells these last few weeks than I did earlier in the pregnancy.  It's been a bit weird.  I have felt worse over all, but it's been a steady feeling and not the up and down that the weak spells give me, so that's a plus!

Mark and I finally decided that we should get ready for the baby to come...  We've done a few small things here and there.  We bought diapers a few weeks ago.  Over the weekend we pulled out the bassinet.  Mark's mom has been here all week helping clean the house (it's fallen apart the last few weeks as I have been in survival mode - cleanliness is only necessary to survival up to a point, and anything more quickly becomes a luxury), doing laundry, feeding the kids, and getting the baby clothes/blankets/bedding/etc out and washed and organized.

I spent this week pretending to help, and not being very helpful.  I would get asked a question, and it would take so long for me to even process what the question was that by the time I realized I might actually be able to come up with an answer, they had given up on me and gone off to do whatever they felt was best.  It was just as well.  My answer probably wouldn't have made much sense anyway.

We finally packed a bag this morning.  I managed to pull a bag out of the closet, grab 2 things (computer power cord and a shirt) and reach for a third before I couldn't do anymore and had to sit down.  It was more than a little bit pathetic...  But it is making me excited to almost be done with this part!

Just a few more hours....  Get me to the hospital on time!  :)

4 comments:

Jenny Gardner said...

Wowsers, you have so much going on...glad to hear that your MIL is there. Definitely be thinking of you tomorrow, hoping you get a call to come in for induction. You sound so ready!!

jules said...

YAY for pregnancy being over and for a new beautiful baby!! I'm praying for you constantly. I think of you a lot, Rachel.

jules said...

Oh, this is Julie Schonlau, btw.

LaMond and Jaylene said...

Wow I didn't know we were following your blog! Guess that is what I get for never being on our own blog, but now that I am trying to be better I will try to keep up with you guys too. Congratulations on your new baby! Hope all is well!