Thursday, March 14, 2013

Mom, You Need to Make or Buy Bread

Yesterday afternoon Shelly came over and says those words to me, in a bit of a commanding voice.  Not rude at all, but firmly, as if it was an order of sorts.  'You need to either buy or make bread so I can make my lunches in the morning.'

At first I was in a bit of shock.  I mean, really, I'm the adult here.  She is not supposed to be lecturing me on what I do and don't need to do.  

Then came the agreement.  She was right.  We were out of bread.

It took a while for the appreciation of what that really meant to sink in.  Then I decided I was rather proud of her.  She is responsible for getting her lunch ready in the morning and not having bread was preventing her from fulfilling that responsibility.

Basically, she knew what she was responsible for, she knew that she couldn't do her job with missing supplies, and she knew how to get those supplies restocked, and she remembered well in advance, and she took initiative to see that her needs were taken care of so that she could fulfill her responsibility.

Wow.  I confess, I was impressed.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Shelly is one smart cookie! You've taught her well :-).